Wednesday, October 18, 2006

No time to drip dry


This morning I got up and did a few things, and then I went to take a shower. I walked into the bathroom and found that my towel was missing. I have one big, gray towel and I use it to dry off after every shower. I keep it in the bathroom, and I wash it every few weeks. When I arrived in Hamburg, I unpacked my big gray towel and hung it on the towel bar, and there it has hung ever since. Until today.


So I stood there for a while, trying to figure out what to do. My fuzzy morning head was having a doozy of a time trying to figure out the logic problem life had presented me:


need to take a shower, but can't take a shower if there is no towel... but need to take a shower... but can't take a shower if there is no towel... but need to take a shower... but no towel... etc.



That lasted for several minutes, which is kinda embarrassing. If this is an indication of my ability to make decisions under pressure, then I may have to say goodbye to my childhood ambition of becoming Flight Director at Mission Control.


Anyways, I looked in the bathroom, I looked in my room, I looked in the kitchen, I looked in the hallway. No sign of it. Could my roommate have used my towel? This seemed unlikely. I've lived with people for a long time, and one of many unspoken rules that are unspoken because they're so obvious that they don't need to be spoken about is don't use your roommate's towel. Also on this list are classics like don't wear your roommate's underwear, don't eat your roommate's food, and don't shave your pubes in the kitchen.


But the towel was nowhere to be found, and the only place left to look was my roommate's room. So I knocked on the door, and got no answer. I didn't want to just barge in, so I peaked through the keyhole... and there it was! There was my towel, hanging limp and rumpled over the back of her chair like a Democrat running for office. I crept inside and felt that it was indeed damp. It smelled like girly hair products. Hmph.


So I left it there and closed the door behind me. I still needed to take a shower, so I walked into the bathroom and scoped out the situation. There are four (4) towels in various colors that are big enough to be bath towels, and as far as I can tell, they all belong to her. What sweet, delicious irony. I decided to take a shower and use one of her towels (did I mention there are four of them?), knowing that I would be breaking the unspoken rule, but seeing no alternative. I had to take a shower, and there simply wasn't time to drip dry.


So tonight I get to have a fun conversation with my roommate. I'll do my best to not come off as an anal retentive six year old (MOOOOOMMMM! SHE KEEPS TOUCHING MY STUFF!) while trying to secure my borders from her cooties. I can be mature about this... but if she uses my towel again, I'm grabbing my electric clippers and heading for the kitchen for a purposely messy pruning session.

No comments: