Friday, December 29, 2006

New Years Resolutions

So I asked my friend Erik if he had any New Years resolutions, and he said "No way man. I don't believe in that shit."

The silly thing (one of the many, anyway) about NYRs is that when I write them, I actually think that I'll refer back to them as the new year progresses. Like I'll be at a bakery in October, and point at the marzapan/almond/darkchocolate/death bar, but just as the lady in the paper hat reaches for it with her thongs, I'll be like No, wait! I made a new years resolution to eat less fat and fewer carbs! I'll just chew on my lips instead*. As if.

Stop using my brakes so much. I took my trusty bicycle to the shop last week for some maintenance. The rear wheel had three broken spokes, and had gone all wobbly. While he was checking things over, bike shop dude Ricky said my brake pads were shot, and it was definitely time for a new pair. Ah, so that's where all those scraping noises were coming from. I've only had the bike for like eight months, and I've already gone through a set of brake pads? That sees fast to me, but it's not entirely unexpected. I've always been heavy on brakes, literally and metaphorically speaking; riding my bike around town, going through life in general, I always want to ease off the throttle and onto the brakes just in case... stick to my comfort zone, well witnin the performance envelope. And more often than not, it turns out to be unnecessary. How many times have I said to myself You shoulda a just relaxed and gone with the flow? Many times. So I resolve to let it flow a little more. Not too much, I don't want to get run over by a bus or ride off a cliff or anything. But really, let's not make life (or commuting) any more difficult and encumbered than it already is. Let go of the brakes. Relax. Go with the flow. Glide forward.

Learn German. When I was bouncing around Europe for school, I didn't have to learn the language. What's the point, I would ask myself, if I'm just gonna leave in three months anyway? If I felt a little isolated, I could retreat to my English speaking friends and classmates. But this time, it's long term. I'm in Germany, surrounded by Germans speaking German, and I gotta get with the program. It's gonna suck ass, but the alternative is sad and pathetic and kind of embarassing. So. I will go to class and do my best. I will allow myself to fuck up and fumble in front of a live studio audience of native speakers. I will keep in mind that they want to understand me just as much as I want to make myself understood. I will learn German.

Less stewing, more dealing. When something bad happens, I stew. I think and consider and contemplate and weigh and worry, and nine times out of ten, none of that shit helps. What would help? To make some phone calls, ask some questions, get some info. Can't move on unless you deal with what you're dealt. So I'm gonna do better with that in 2007.

Write, compose, sing, record a real rock song. Recently I've met all these people who are musicians in their spare time, and have recording studios in their basement/attic/spareroom/whatever. I'd love to write some songs and put them together. If I could write some music that makes me happy, that would rock. If it makes the audience happy, even better.

Write more stories. What can I say? Practice makes perfect. Or less sucky, at least. I should post small stories here for the world to see.

Shave off the beard, post a video on YouTube. Oops, just did that.


* I will never make this one of my  new year's resolution unless ordered to do so by a physician.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd choose the cardiac arrest choco bar 10 times out of 10. No lip chewing Rx from me!

Anonymous said...

but just as the lady in the paper hat reaches for it with her thongs

Dude, I wouldn't eat anything that had been touched by thongs -- of either the foot or ass varieties.